Eleanor M. “Bunny” Wood
Eleanor M. “Bunny” Wood
Always loving the month of May, Bunny stayed to the very last day.
Born in Brooklyn, NY to the late John R. and Marion Smith Mead in 1925.
With her $50 academic scholarship award from Spring Valley High School, Bunny immediately bought herself a radio and brought it with her to Norwegian Lutheran Deaconess Hospital School of Nursing. She had signed on to the US Cadet Nurse Corps, and her education was an extension of her commitment to serve. Upon graduation and licensure as an RN, Bunny was assigned to St. Vincent’s Hospital in NYC.
Bunny married in May 1947. A dear friend in high school, George Wood faithfully corresponded with letter upon letter while he served with the USAAF in England. Upon returning to the States he ardently wooed and eventually claimed the lovely Miss Mead as his bride.
Bunny embraced her role of wife and mother of three, as well as her vocation as a nurse; a career spanning almost 50 years.She was loved and respected by her fellow nurses and physicians, as well as many grateful patients through the years. She was a nurse at the old Melbourne Hospital on US1, and helped open the new Brevard Hospital, now Holmes Regional. She retired from Holmes after serving many years on the Maternity Ward as the daytime charge nurse. Subsequently she worked for Dr. Victor Alvarez in his office, and also at FIT in student health services.
When the Wood family first moved from New York to St. Augustine, Bunny found employment at the Florida East Coast Railroad Hospital. After also living a few years in Titusville, the family settled in Melbourne in 1960 to make it their permanent home.
Bunny enjoyed travel: even if that meant packing a tent and supplies for a long weekend of camping with her young family. In later years she took numerous cruises, and bus tours. She visited Ireland,England, Scotland and had a “girls” trip to Hawaii with 7 of her dear nursing school classmates to celebrate their 50th anniversary as graduates.
Always pleasant and very kind, Bunny possessed an intelligent wit . Her quiet reserve belied an arsenal of inner-strength and resolve, which served her well as a child in post-depression NYC. She was orphaned at an early age, along with her younger sister, Jean. As difficult as the circumstances were, they successfully negotiated the overburdened foster-care system; eventually finding rewarding lives as cherished wives and devoted mothers.
Bunny is predeceased by her beloved husband, George Thomas Wood, her sister Jean Avery Peterson, and a niece, Linda L. Gurule.
Until her health prevented her attendance, Bunny was an active and faithful member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Melbourne.
Left to cherish memories of her warm love and radiant smile, are daughter, Kathleen Howell, and sons, Greg ( Terry) Wood and Ken Wood. Also 7 grandchildren, Melainie Plumb, Kara ( Mark ) Carey, Geordon ( Lindsay) Howell, Keith (Carole Anne) Wood, Dylan Wood, Blake ( Amy) Wood and Carly Wood. Also she is survived by 13 great-grandchildren, nieces Sandra( Mike) Strom and Laurie ( Cary) Plettau, and a great niece, Laura ( Tom) Readmond.
For anyone wishing to honor Bunny’s memory, please consider a contribution to an organization supporting children in crisis, such as: Covenant House.org
St Jude’s Children’s Hospital or
a local foster parent program.
Internment in Melbourne Cemetery is planned for a later date.